Backed by a team of professionals, we have been a proud supplier of Barium Sulfate Powder for our highly honoured clients. It is an industrial chemical that is made up of best quality components and top notch machinery at our vendors unit in compliance with the industrial set standards and norms. Barium Sulfate Powder is known for being effective, safe, durable and reliable. This has lead to increasing demands of this powder among that of our competitors. We strive to deliver this on time.
Barium Sulfate Powder Applications:
Barium sulfate powder has various applications across different industries due to its unique properties. Here are some common applications of barium sulfate powder:
1. Medical Imaging: Barium sulfate is widely used as a contrast agent in medical imaging techniques such as X-rays, CT scans, and fluoroscopy. When ingested or injected into the body, it helps visualize the gastrointestinal tract, highlighting any abnormalities or obstructions.
2. Paints and Coatings: Barium sulfate is used as a filler or extender in the production of paints, coatings, and pigments. It provides high gloss, opacity, and excellent weather resistance to the finished products. It is also used in powder coatings, automotive paints, and protective coatings.
3. Plastics and Rubber: Barium sulfate is added to plastics and rubber products to improve their stiffness, dimensional stability, and resistance to heat and chemicals. It is commonly used in applications such as automotive parts, electrical insulation, and consumer goods.
4. Paper Industry: Barium sulfate is utilized as a coating pigment in the paper industry to enhance the brightness, opacity, and smoothness of paper products. It is commonly used in printing and writing papers, photographic papers, and packaging materials.
5. Oil and Gas Drilling: Barium sulfate is used as a weighting agent in drilling fluids used in oil and gas exploration. It helps control the pressure in the well, prevent blowouts, and facilitate the extraction of oil or gas from underground reserves.
6. Radiation Shielding: Due to its high density and ability to absorb X-rays and gamma rays, barium sulfate is employed as a radiation shielding material in various applications. It is used in medical facilities, nuclear power plants, and industrial radiography to protect workers and the environment from harmful radiation.
7. Ceramics and Glass: Barium sulfate finds application in the ceramics and glass industry as a fluxing agent. It lowers the melting point of ceramic and glass materials, facilitating the manufacturing process and improving the overall quality of the finished products.
8. Adhesives and Sealants: Barium sulfate is used as a filler in adhesives and sealants to improve their strength, adhesion, and durability. It is commonly used in construction adhesives, caulks, and sealants.
Barium Sulfate Powder Properties:
Barium sulfate powder possesses several notable properties that make it suitable for various applications. Here are the key properties of barium sulfate powder:
White Color: Barium sulfate powder is white in color, which contributes to its use as a pigment and filler in applications where a bright and opaque appearance is desired.
Insolubility: Barium sulfate is highly insoluble in water and most organic solvents. This property makes it an ideal contrast agent for medical imaging, as it does not dissolve or get absorbed by the body.
High Density: Barium sulfate is a dense material with a density of approximately 4.5 grams per cubic centimeter. This high density is advantageous in applications such as radiation shielding and oil drilling, where weight and density are crucial factors.
Chemically Inert: Barium sulfate is chemically inert, meaning it is resistant to chemical reactions with other substances. This property allows it to maintain its stability and integrity in various environments, making it suitable for applications where chemical resistance is required.
Non-Toxic: Barium sulfate is considered non-toxic and safe for ingestion or injection under medical supervision. It is widely used in medical imaging procedures without causing harm to patients.
High Melting Point: Barium sulfate has a high melting point of approximately 1,580 degree centigrade. This property is relevant in applications such as ceramics and glass manufacturing, where high temperatures are involved.
Low Refractive Index: Barium sulfate has a low refractive index, which means it does not bend or scatter light significantly. This property is beneficial in applications such as paints, coatings, and paper production, where high opacity and light reflection are desired.
Stable in UV Light: Barium sulfate exhibits excellent stability under ultraviolet (UV) light exposure. This property makes it suitable for use in coatings and pigments that are exposed to sunlight and other sources of UV radiation.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How is barium sulfate powder produced?
A: Barium sulfate powder is typically produced through a precipitation process. Barium ions are combined with sulfate ions in a chemical reaction, resulting in the formation of solid barium sulfate. The precipitated material is then washed, dried, and ground into a fine powder.
Q: What are the main applications of barium sulfate powder?
A: Barium sulfate powder has diverse applications. It is commonly used as a contrast agent in medical imaging, a filler/extender in paints and coatings, a weight agent in oil drilling fluids, a coating pigment in paper production, a radiation shielding material, and as an additive in plastics, ceramics, adhesives, and sealants.
Q: Is barium sulfate powder safe?
A: Barium sulfate is generally considered safe for specific applications, such as medical imaging, where it is administered under professional supervision. However, like any substance, it should be handled with proper care and following applicable safety guidelines. It is important to consult the safety data sheet (SDS) and follow recommended precautions when using barium sulfate powder.
Q: Can barium sulfate powder be dissolved in water?
A: Barium sulfate is highly insoluble in water and does not readily dissolve. This property is desirable in medical imaging procedures, as it allows barium sulfate to pass through the gastrointestinal tract without being absorbed or dissolved.
Q: Can barium sulfate powder be used in food or dietary supplements?
A: Barium sulfate powder is not intended for use in food or dietary supplements. It is primarily used in medical, industrial, and commercial applications. If you have any specific concerns or requirements regarding the use of barium sulfate in food-related applications, it is recommended to consult relevant regulatory guidelines and seek professional advice.
- Ph : 6.5 - 7.5
- Appearance : extra super snow white colour
- CAS Number : 7727-43-7
- Form : Powder
- Grade : Industrial
- Molecular formula : BaSO4
- Oil absorption : low oil absorption
- Packaging details : 25Kg Bag
- Purity : 93 - 97 %